Cumberland County Habitat For Humanity
Position: Executive Director Location: Crossville, TN
Reports To: Board of Directors Classification: Exempt – Salaried
Purpose of the Position:
The Executive Director plans and administers a program of ministry in accordance with Habitat’s stated purpose and in such a manner that optimum results are achieved. It operates under the direction of the affiliate’s Board of Directors and works closely with the President of the corporation (as per the Bylaws). The Executive Director’s Manual from Habitat for Humanity International shall be the written guide from which the following has been taken.
- Recommends policies to the Board and/or assists the Board in the formulation of policies for the effective and economical operation of the organization.
- Ensures implementation of policies adopted by the Board.
- Has chief administrative responsibility for public accountability of the organization, maintenance of organization facilities, and regular reporting to various bodies.
- Ensure that the legal obligations of the organization are met.
- Manages the affiliate’s records in compliance with Habitat For Humanity International’s Records Retention Policy.
- Oversees the affiliate’s data processing hardware, systems, software, and data bases. This includes following appropriate security protocols.
Financial Management and Development
- Assist in the preparation of the organization budgets for physical, financial, and human resources and is accountable for control of these resources once approved.
- Directs all financial operations of the organization.
- Participates in fund raising activities by working with the Development Director or fund-raising committee on fund raising events and assisting with grant writing.
- Supervises and directs all employees in the performance of their duties, evaluates their performance and provides overall control and direction for the human resources function of the organization. This includes active participation in or approval of decisions in hiring, discipline, and termination of employment.
- Facilitates actual construction of dwellings through the coordination of volunteers, paid personnel, and materials.
- Makes recommendations to the Board of Directors for major purchases of real estate, equipment, computer systems and hardware or supplies not contemplated in the annual budget.
- Interprets the function of the organization to the community through direct involvement and through public relations programs, including personal contact, literature, and the media.
- Represents the affiliate by participating in home blessings, dedications, and presentations to civic, church, and other local organizations.
- Assists the Board of Directors in specific, written, long and short-range plans for organization programs and services.
- Maintains appropriate relations with the Board members and various Board committees and keeps them informed.
- Interprets trends in the field(s) of service in which the organization is engaged, by maintaining involvement in the professional fields as a whole.
- Acts to maintain highly effective client relations under all organization program.
- Maintains appropriate relations with other professional and social service groups in the community and serves on appropriate community Boards or committees.
- Recruits, orients and arranges training for volunteers and staff members.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in social services, education, business, or related fields.
Experience: One year of supervisory or managerial experience in social services, education, business, or related fields.
Skills and Requirements:
- Excellent interpersonal verbal and written communication skills to interact effectively with homeowners, prospective homeowners, volunteers, paid staff, committees, the Board of Directors, and the community in a welcoming, professional, and positive manner that represents Cumberland County Habitat For Humanity favorably.
- Success in managing people of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to use the Microsoft Office Suite software.
- Financial and accounting practice knowledge sufficient to understand financial reports and prepare and monitor budgets.
- Excellent organization skills with a demonstrated ability to create and execute plans.
- Basic knowledge of home construction materials and methods.
- Reliable transportation and insurance on your vehicle.
Other Desired Skills:
- Fund raising
- Grant writing
- Quick Books experience
- Local connections with community leaders and groups
- Knowledge of the economic conditions in Cumberland County
Hours: The office hours are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. The ReStore is open on Saturday and some work may be required this day as well. This is a full time, salaried position, and the Executive Director is expected to be available beyond the normal workday as circumstances warrant.
Paid Vacation – 5 days the first year with additional time added thereafter.
Paid Holidays – New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Paid Sick Days – 1 day for each 2 months of employment after satisfactory completion of the initial 90-day probation period.
Insurance – An individual insurance supplement for medical and dental coverage is available after the first 90 days of employment. We also offer a Medical Expense Reimbursement plan to help offset deductibles and co-payments.
Salary: Based upon qualifications.
Cumberland County Habitat For Humanity is an equal opportunity employer.